10 Nov Zinc – For Healthy Brain Function and a Strong Immune System
Zinc is required for the function of more than 300 different enzymes in the body, which play a key role in healthy brain function, antioxidant protection, muscle building, healing, digestion, a healthy metabolism, and a strong immune system.
The following are some of the important roles that zinc serves in the body.
- A healthy endocrine system, and healthy thymus gland function responsible for a strong immune system.
- Promotes healthy brain function, focus, concentration, mental alertness, and a healthy mood.
- Promotes proper insulin function and protein synthesis; anabolic activity.
- Is required for the body’s antioxidant defense system.
- Promotes healthy skin, hair, and nails.
The following are symptoms associated with zinc deficiency:
- Learning difficulties, decreased cognitive function and IQ
- Slow growth (in childhood) and delayed wound healing
- Depressed immune system and frequent infections
- Low-energy, fatigue, and poor concentration
- Acne, dermatitis, and skin problems
- Emotional and behavioral problems
- Sleep disturbances
- Beneficial dose range: 10-30 mg /day
- Organic chelated forms have the highest bioavailability (i.e. absorbed the best).
- Zinc acetate, citrate, gluconate, monomethionine, and sulfate are all well-absorbed forms of the mineral.